Friday, April 30, 2010

Avery's Arrival

She's here! Our precious daughter decided to finally make her grand entrance.

Avery Joy Christensen
April 28, 2010
3:04 am
7 lbs 11 ozs 19 inches







So here is the Reader's Digest version of her birth story...

Monday, I was dilated to 1 cm and things weren't looking promising. So we scheduled a c-section for yesterday. Monday night I pretty much mentally gave up on having a VBAC. Tuesday morning I woke up at 3 am not feeling so well. By 4 am I was having contractions every 6 minutes. Sean and I figured we weren't going to get any sleep so we got up and showered and monitored my contractions.

We went to see the doctor's at 11 am to see if I was progressing. Sure enough, I had made it to 2 cm. So they sent me up to the hospital. By the time we got admitted and checked, I was dilated to 3 cm. Every few hours I progressed another centimeter.

By 10 pm, I made it to 5 cm and was getting tired, so I got some pain meds and rested a little. By 12:30 am I was at 6 cm and couldn't handle the pain any more. So they broke my water and gave me an epidural. And 30 minutes later I was all the way to 10 cm!!! So they had me "labor down" for a hour and a half. Basically I slept while my body pushed the baby down.

When it was time to push, my nurse woke me up and said it was go time. I pushed for less than 30 minutes. It was such a surreal experience. I was so happy I was able to have a VBAC and Sean was able to cut the cord and I was able to hold Avery right after she came out. I consider this delivery one of the greatest blessings of my life.

When Avery was born she had a lot of fluids in her lungs. They had to stick a tube down her throw to get it out and give her some oxygen. She sit up a bunch of fluids the first 24 hours. And because she was born 9 days overdue, she skin is incredibly dry and cracking on her hands and feet. But other than that, she's perfect!

We decided to come home from the hospital last night. We're so lucky that Avery is an amazing sleeper. We got more sleep last night than the two nights before. She slept all last night on Sean's chest. She LOVES to be swaddled and cuddled and loves to sleep. All of that is very different than Lexi.

I want to thank everyone who kept us in their prayers. I know that all the support made a huge help. Also I had the world's most amazing doula Kelly. I would recommend her to anyone. She is one of the biggest reason I think I was able to VBAC. She kept me calm and focused. I also had an amazing nurse. I just feel like my Heavenly Father was taking care of me and I feel so blessed.

I will post more pictures and details later. I'm tired and this is all I'm feeling up to for now.

14 comments:

amber said...

YAY!! She is so precious. I'm excited to come see her, and you. :) Congrats again!!

Kaci said...

Congrats Sam! she is beautiful!

Chelsi said...

thank you for posting!! she is beautiful. i am so happy for you...especially hearing how smoothly everything went that allowed you to have a VBAC. that's so wonderful! can't wait to see more pictures :)

thinking of you :)

Beth Tunnell said...

She is so beautiful! Congratulations!

Andersen Family said...

That is so awesome!! Way to go tough mamma. That's a long time to labor. I"m so glad everything worked out the way you wanted! She is beautiful. Lexi must be so excited. Congratulations!

Valerie Christensen said...

Welcome to the two mom club! I am in love with that first picture! What a beautiful baby! I swear if Devin didn't have school I would pack the kids up and drive up to Rexburg...I want to hold her so bad!
Thanks for keeping us all updated. Talk to you soon

Lindsey said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I'm so happy you got do have her the way you wanted.

Hannah said...

I can't believe that you had the baby normally!! I LOVE this blog and I am so happy for you! Can't wait to see more pictures

Amanda said...

congrats sam, she is beautiful! and i am so happy that you got your vbac, though any way a baby comes into this world healthy is a blessing- so congrats on yours! its so fun being on round 2 and having others i know in the same situation. i can't believe our big girls are 2! (well almost for lexi!)

Brenda K. said...

This gives me so much hope. Thanks for posting the story. Congrats again!

K. Bitton said...

I am so happy for you Sam! Giving birth is so special and spiritual. I'm glad you had such a great experience

Adam and Britney said...

gorgeous little one. p.s. where's the picture of us? I want proof that I saw her first.

Valerie Christensen said...

More pictures! More pictures! We want more pictures!

Sara said...

AWESOME!! Can't wait to see more pics! Hope you are recovering well! Love ya!