Friday, October 19, 2012

Eli's Birth

This is the detailed story of Eli's birth.
If you aren't into details then just know that I was in labor for 10 1/2 hours and Eli was 8 lbs 8 Oz
and just wait for my next post with all the pictures...
...
...
...
 Friday, the 12th, I had my last prenatal check-up.
I was dilated 2.5 cm already and feeling really excited.
They stripped my membranes.
For the rest of Friday and all of Saturday I was sore, bleeding and had cramps.
...
I felt okay on Sunday.
...
Monday, the 15th, my due date, I was so uncomfortable.
The thought of being pregnant any longer made me want to cry.
I seriously felt like I was going to explode!
...
Tuesday morning, the girls both woke up at 7 am. I was not ready to get up.
So I let them watch Sleeping Beauty for an hour while I laid in bed and slept.
I finally got up at 8 am and was feeling miserable!
I was having some cramps. So I worked on getting some cleaning done to distract myself.
At 8:30, I sent Sean a text and told me that I couldn't do this any longer and that I hoped he was 
being super productive at work because I was praying I'd have Eli the next day.
Around 10 am I started timing my "cramps."
They were coming every 5 1/2 minutes and lasting for about 45 seconds.
So Sean left work at 11 am.
We dropped the girls off at Michelle's at noon and headed to the hospital.
First, I went up to see the midwives.
I got checked  at 1 pm and found out I was dilated 4 1/2 cm, 90% effaced and he was at stage 0.
So, we quickly went to the cafeteria and got some lunch (a turkey and cheese sandwich).
...
I checked into Labor and Delivery at 2 pm and found out that I was already at 6 cm.
Sean and I were both amazed by how quickly I was progressing.
I'll admit it, I was a little freaked out.
I thought I'd have more time and had planned on laboring in the tub (I had packed our swimsuits).
But I decided that I wanted my IV and epidural ASAP!
Those are the two things that I dread the most.
I cried when I got the epidural. It hurt and is stressful for me.
...
At 3 pm I had digressed and was only 5 cm. I was heartbroken when my nurse told me that.
So they gave me a catheter because we realized that
we might be there a little longer than we originally thought.
Eli's heart rate keep decelerating so by 4 pm I was put on oxygen for the remainder of my labor.
(The same thing happen when I was in labor with Avery.)
At 4:40 pm they broke my water. 
I also got checked at that time.
Teresa my midwife checked me during a contraction and told me that
Eli's head was really low at that I was dilated 8 cm.
But as soon as my contraction ended, Eli wasn't as low anymore therefor 
not putting as much pressure on my cervix and I was only dilated to 6 cm again. 
I was so frustrated! Things had been progressing so fast before and now progression seemed to stop!
...
Since things were going slow, I told Sean to go get some dinner.
At 5:00 my nurse, Claudia told me to do some nipple stimulation.
I massaged one nipple for 2 minutes then stopped for 5 then the other nipple for 2 minutes. And so on.
By 5:30 I had made it to 10 cm!!! 
I was still just at stage 0 (that's referring to how low the baby's head is, I think stage +3 is the lowest, I can't remember, the point is I wasn't there yet.)
But I was feeling tons of pressure.
At this point Sean made it back.
At 5:40 I had decided that my epidural was wearing off so I asked to get a little extra dosage.
By this point my nurse had pushed the little button on my epidural tube twice 
so the anesthesiologist came and gave me another dosage.
I later regretted this.
I was so numb! And lot just my lower half but my entire right side. 
I kept raising and shaking my right arm like you do 
when your arm falls asleep and you want to get the feeling back.
...
Around 6:10 it was time to start pushing.
I asked for the mirror and watched the entire time. It was so surreal.
Eli was born at 6:24 pm.
Immediately he was laid on my chest and I just couldn't believe that there was my baby.
Sean cut the cord and we wiped him off a little and I just held him.
...
Eventually the nurses checked him out.
His birth stats: 8 lbs 8 Oz and 20.5 inches
...
I asked Teresa to show me my placenta.
It was so cool. Seriously, our bodies are amazing! 
...
Then I nursed Eli.
He didn't want to stop.
Eventually I made him stop so we could go to our new room.
And once we got there, I nursed him again.
...
I just have to say that I had amazing nurses both in Labor & Delivery and in the Mother & Baby Unit.
Also, I'm so grateful that I decided to see the midwives.
My midwife was AMAZING!!!
She was with me way more than my MD's ever were and she took time to talk with me.
I have to say that is was my best birthing experience by far 
and Sean and I are already to see how the next birth goes.

2 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful! Labor and delivery is SO HARD! You are amazing!

Sean and Jennie said...

I hope your recovery is going well! Its so funny how people ask us all the time how we are when we're pregnant and then as soon as the baby comes out no one cares how we are doing=) He is so cute and I'm glad you had such a positive experience. I wish you were here so I could snuggle and hold the little guy! Congrats!!