Last week at Alexia's check-up I asked the doc about starting rice cereal. He said now would be a good time to offer it to her. I was excited and went out and bought some. Then I started thinking about how I don't want my baby to grow up and no I am kinda rethinking the whole thing. I know this is so crazy that I am so emotional about the whole thing. I have heard and read that it's different for each baby but how will I know?
Mom's when did you start giving your baby solids and what made you decide to do it?
7 comments:
I started Madisyn on her 6 month birthday. The doc said that we could start at her 4 month check up, but David really wanted to wait. So, I asked hte doc if it's ok to wait till 6 months and she said that it was more than ok. Babies don't need the extra food for nutrition. They still get everything they need till 6 months. Then, they need the rice cereal for the iron. If you start them earlier than 6 months, it's just for fun. She said it just takes up extra room in their belly that could be filled with mom's milk. Really, it's a personal choice. I don't think it really hurts them either way. One thing y doc did say, and I did a lot of reading about this subject, if your baby can sit up all by herself, that's a good indicator that she's capable of eating solids. I just figured that since Madi was sitting up pretty early, she was ready early, but we decided to wait, and I'm glad we did. I figure they grow up sooo fast and there's plenty of time for solids for the rest of their lives. Sorry for the essay :)
With Devin, although I enjoyed every stage, I was super excited to start cereal so I think I started it at 4 months. I might wait for Adalynn. She is growing up so fast and I just want my little baby a bit longer (and I can't beleive my other "baby" is turning 3 in a few weeks).
We started Mitchel on rice cereal once a day at 4 months. The doctor told us we could. But I did hear that alot of food allergies come about because of starting on solids too early...so he has just been getting rice or oatmeal cereal for a month now and will only get that until 6 months. Really he did get much down his throat until recently because he really didn't know how to swallow. He's getting the same amount of feedings so I just figure it is practice for him and at 6 months he'll be ready to roll.
i started katherine a week after she was 6 months. i think it really depends on her, is she acting ready? even now, katherine only wants to nurse, and i can get her to eat solids once a day, if that!
I was really sad when Sennika was showing signs of readiness at 4 months & actually waited a few weeks after I noticed because I didn't want her to grow up. :) Does she smack her lips when you eat in front of her or open her mouth when you bring a bite to your mouth? Where she is drinking a lot, that may indicate that she isn't satisfied with just milk. It was nice for Sennika to "practice" with rice, so once we started other solids at 6 months she was great at it.
I started feeding Nels rice cereal between 4-5 months, but he never took to it very well. He was never a fan of pureed anything, so he drank mostly milk until he could start to eat "real food" (mashed potatoes, etc). I am glad I started that early, though, because even though he didn't eat very much, he needed the practice so that he could be ready when he really DID need to start eating.
Everything I've read says to wait until the baby is 6 months. We started Noah at 6 months and he took right too it. We tried to start Landon at 6 months but he didn't like it or couldn't handle eating. he would choke on it. The doc told me it wasn't a big deal, every baby is different and he's getting everything he needs from his formula. He's 10 months old now and still doesn't like eating cereal or any kind of baby food. He does eat most of the foods we eat if we cut it small enough or use the baby food grinder. But he doesn't eat a lot of it. Every baby is different and you'll know when and what to feed her.
Post a Comment