Monday, May 3, 2010

Name of the Game: SURVIVAL!!!

Life has been CRAZY at the Christensen home, to say the least.

First, let me just say that the recovery from this delivery has been A LOT harder than I thought it would be. When I had my c-section with Lexi the recovery was easier than I thought it would be and this time around it has been harder than I thought it would be. Of course this time around is easier, I just wasn't prepared for pain. I thought having a VBAC would be no real recovery. I tore really bad and got episiotomy. Needless to say, I am not moving as easily as I used to. And I have been SO engorged. I've been trying to not go an infection all weekend long, I think I'm in the clear now. Sorry, probably TMI for some people.

Lexi has been good. She hasn't tried to hurt Avery but she sure wants to make sure she isn't forgot about. Within 10 minutes of us bring Avery home from the hospital Lexi started saying, "me" and "mine" all the time, something she has never done before. I think she is having a really hard time getting less attention from me. She has been throwing some good tantrums. She testes our patience everyday a few times. But she is still such a sweet little girl.

Avery is AMAZING! She is the perfect second child. She sleeps ALL THE TIME! The only time she seems to be awake is when she's eating. Today we took her to get her first check up. She is now 7 lbs 14 ozs (52%) 20 1/2 inches (77%) so I'm pretty sure they didn't measure her correctly at the hospital because I don't think she's grown 1 1/2 inches since Wednesday.

Everyday is getting better and eventually we'll get into our new routine of being a family of four but then of course, we'll move and change it all up again.

Here are a few pictures from the last few days...



Avery with her flowers from my mom. (Avery spends a lot of time in her car seat. This is where she sleeps during the day and at night.)
She falls asleep when I'm nursing her. This kid is just always tired. I thought this was just so cute.

When she is awake she makes the funniest faces.

Yeah, I know this picture isn't facing the right way but I'm just too tired to care. This is Avery's first bath at home. She didn't cry once in the water just when we took her out. Maybe we have another fish on our hands.

Sean wearing the Moby wrap. He takes care of both girls at once. Super dad! (Avery REALLY loved the Moby wrap, she loves to be swaddled.)

I was taking a picture of Avery and Lexi started saying, "Me." She wanted to ensure that she got a picture too. She wants to do whatever Avery does: be in just a diaper, wearing mittens, a bib use a binkie.

This picture shows that Lexi really does love her sister. She gave Avery her two favorite animals to sleep with.

Today we tried to get some pictures of the girls together.

Aren't they adorable!

These smiles make it all worth it.

Avery had her eyes open and she wasn't eating. I had to get a picture.

I love newborn faces. I wish I knew what she was thinking.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam you are doing such a great job with two girls (and adorable at that!) just give those bundles of blessings lots of kisses!!

TyLeen said...

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only mom who struggled with 2. I can't wait to have 3 but I wish you luck and don't worry there will be more tantrums to come.

Allen Family said...

oops, I just signed in on my sister's name. Sorry about that. The above message is from me!!

Amanda said...

so cute! a-very joy filled home indeed. :)

Chelsi said...

i had no idea you had so much shall we say "trauma" happen to you during labor. hope your recovery gets easier! your girls are so sweet and what a blessing that sean gets to be home with you! you're doing great sam. hang in there :) you're making me so anxious to have 2 daughters of my own :)

Katy said...

Just reading Avery's story now. What a beautiful little girl! I am so relieved you were able to have a VBAC! I was praying like crazy for you. I'm sorry you tore even with the episiotomy and sorry it's been a harder recovery than you expected. I wish I could help you right now!!!

Valerie Christensen said...

The pics of the girls together are precious. Love them!

And I'd like to tell you it gets better, but why give you false hope! Actually it did get better for me, until Addie could move around and then it was all down hill from there. Hang in there!