Thursday, January 13, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training - Falling In

We've been potty training Lexi for two weeks now and she's doing great. We have had very few accidents and she is really good at telling us when she needs to go. She has been wanting to wear under ware for a long time but I just wasn't ready to potty train. So we told her after Christmas she could wear under ware. For the first week, we gave her a Jolly Rancher gummy treat every time she went potty, then we moved on to Tic Tacs. Now we have a sticker chart. Each time she goes potty she puts a sticker on the chart and after twenty stickers she gets to pick out a princess toy at Target. She talks about that princess toy every time she goes potty. Eventually we'll stop rewarding her but for now it's good encouragement.

We have been putting Pull Ups on Lexi when she sleeps but I want to start weaning her of that. We were originally putting Pull Ups on her when we went out but have stop, expect for church on Sundays (I don't want to deal with an accident at church). Last night, we were at church for our weekly youth activities (we're leaders) and Lexi kept wanting to go potty. She loves washing her hands and flushing. She wasn't actually doing anything, she just wanted to "try." Finally, on her 10th or so "try" I took Avery with me. I was trying to make sure Avery didn't touch anything while trying to help Lexi balance on the big toilet. I didn't do such a good job though. Lexi was moving too much and I wasn't helping enough and she fell in the toilet! Completely fell in. Like her legs and arms were sticking out but her body was in the toilet. She just had a very surprised look on her face and I just couldn't stop laughing. I pulled her out, took off her clothes, dried her off and put a coat on her naked body and we went home. And the good news is that I don't think she is going to be traumatized.

4 comments:

Melody said...

Good for her! She's doing a good job! I'm not brave enough to try potty training Andrew yet! I think I'll wait a few months after this next baby is born, and then we'll try.

And poor Lexi, falling into the toilet! Hopefully that will be one memory that doesn't stick around forever for her!

Chelsi said...

that is so cute! i love hearing her little voice. it's scary to fall in that big potty. madi did that at home jsut the other day and i was laughing so hard! i know it's not nice, but i just couldn't help it. i hear "whoa!" and i turn around to see my little girl in the toilet. haha good times. i'm glad i'm not the only one.

amber said...

Hahaha, poor little Lexi. I can't believe she's old enough to fall in a toilet while being potty trained. :)

Nate and Erin Russell said...

hey, it happens to the best of us right :)